Ontario Early Years Centre
The Ontario Early Years Centre is a supportive place for parents, caregivers and young children.
Here, children 0-6 and their caregivers can take part in programs and activities together, while working directly with professionals and experts from the community. DPNCHC offers a variety of programs to support children’s healthy development in different locations across the Davenport community.
Le Centre francophone de Toronto offre des programmes diversifies pour vos enfants en francais. 416-922-2672 www.centrefranco.org
- Early learning drop-in programs for any parents/caregivers and children
- Parenting Programs and Groups
- Language-specific supports to families that speak Tamil, Portuguese, Spanish, and Mandarin.
- Let’s Get Started Parent/ Child Groups
- Health programs such as dietitian visits and public health nurses
- A pregnancy / pre-natal nutrition program
- Preschool programs that help children get ready for kindergarten
- Information and links to other services in the community
- Training programs and volunteer opportunities!
Child Minder Training Program
In 2006, DPNCHC began offering a Child Minder Training program to support low-income women, young mothers, and newcomers who were interested in home childcare. A comprehensive health promotion/educational series, the program provides Canadian experience and skills, increases knowledge in child development and enhances employment and educational opportunities. It also helps to ensure that those providing child minding have basic knowledge in child safety, health and standards.
Since 2011, the program has served over 207 participants and it perpetually has a wait-list. With its 2014 Vital Ideas grant, DPNCHC will rigorously evaluate the Child Minder Training program to fully understand its impact, document learnings, create a functional program toolkit and create a digital story of the program to promote and share the model.
View our digital story here:
Would you like to replicate our Child Minder program? Read our Child Minder Toolkit:
“My child has always been really attached to me, and she has had some separation issues in the past. I was really anxious about her starting school.
But, with the help of the staff here and the program, now my daughter has experienced what it means going to school, learning from a teacher, trusting other adults and not only me. Now my child knows and trust the teachers and other children, she is no longer scared.”
-Parent, Pauline Public School, 2015