Fit55+ is the name of our fitness initiative under which we run many free, multi-cultural programs for both the able-bodied and frail, at 1900 Davenport and in the larger community.
Fitness is a high priority for DPNCHC Seniors. When the Toronto District School Board could no longer run free exercise classes for seniors here, we started our own. A few years later, an independent study conducted by the University of Toronto found that DPNCHC seniors were more active in joining in programs/services and more active in their daily lives than survey participants outside our agency.
In 2013, we received generous funding from the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network’s “Falls Prevention Exercise Classes” program. We now offer 67 classes weekly at 19 sites. The Ontario government now designates us as an Active Living Centre.
Fit55+ will improve your independence, health, and well-being through fun, physical activity.
Here are the different programs we offer in English, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish at 1900 Davenport for women and men 55 years and older:
- Low impact aerobics, stretching, motion and balance exercises, weight lifting, and more.
- Tuesdays 2:30 – 3:30
Chair Zumba and Sit Fit55+
- Chair aerobics, small weights, stretching and more.
- Wednesdays 2:30 – 3:30
- Mall-walking program in partnership with the Galleria Shopping Centre, 1245 Dupont Street at Dufferin.
- Mondays and Thursdays 8:45 – 10 a.m.
- Mondays from 11:00am – 12:00pm
- Seasonal neighbourhood walking program May – October
- Tuesdays from 9:00 – 10:00 a.m at Wadsworth Park (120 Connolly Street).
- Led in English, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish
- A lower intensity, yet energizing exercise class incorporating modified Latin dance steps from cha-cha, salsa, cumbia, merengue, flamenco and tango; and moves from the twist, Charleston, and belly dancing.
- Thursdays 3 – 4 p.m.
- Thursdays from 11:00am – 12:00pm
Ping Pong and Bocce55+
- Mondays and Thursdays from 12:30 to 2:30
- for older (45 years+) community members that may be affected by mental health issues, or addictions
- Fridays 8:00 to 10:00 p.m.
Contact Cesar at 416-656-8025 ext.262
- A limited In-home service assisting frail seniors through individualized exercise programs.
- Service in English and Spanish.
- By appointment; waiting list. Contact Cesar at 416-656-8025 ext.262